Freeport Water and Sewer Department
In 1937, the city bought the water system and established a commission headquartered in City Hall. This has led to the management of three elevated tanks, six wells, 28,000 customers, and 120 miles of mains. Currently, over 4 million gallons of water, is pumped through the mains daily.
The earliest sewer system of Freeport dumped untreated sewage into the Pecatonica River. In 1934, Freeport was warned by the state that a treatment plant must be built.
In 1968, over 5 million dollars was raised through grants and bond sales to fund the project. The project included five new lift stations, treatment plant expansion and a pilot research program.
In 1999, the wastewater plant is about to be expanded again with new treatment equipment, processes, and upgrades. This $12 million dollar project will help to keep the wastewater plant running smoothly for the next 20 years.
The Water and Sewer Commission has provided water since 1937 and sewer since 1939, and we will carry the city proudly and safely well into the next millennium.
Freeport City Hall